What is Islam:
Counting approximately 1 billion followers, Islam is the world's second largest religion after Christianity. Roughly 45 nations have majority Muslim populations and approximately 30 other countries also have sizable Muslim communities. Indonesia, which is non-Arab, is the largest Islamic country, and a sizable population of Christian Arabs live in the Middle East.
ISLAM AND MUSLIMS
The word "Islam" is derived from root words Silm and Salam, which mean "peace."
A Muslim follows the teachings of Islam, a monotheistic religion characterized by a doctrine of submission to God and to Muhammad as the chief and last prophet of God.
MUSLIMS AND ARABS
There are approximately one billion Muslims in the world.
- Muslims are not necessarily Arabs.
- Muslims may be Arabs, Turks, Persians, Indians, Pakistanis, Malaysians, Indonesians, Europeans, Africans,
Americans, Chinese, or other nationalities.
There are about 200 million Arabs.
- Arabs can be Muslim, Christian, Jewish, an atheist or a follower of another faith.
- Arab Muslims constitute approximately 20% of the Muslim population of the world
ALLAH THE ONE AND THE ONLY GOD
For Muslims, Allah is the name of the "One and Only God."
• Allah has a total of ninety-nine different names, including: The Gracious, The Merciful, The Beneficent, The Creator, The All-Knowing, The All-Wise, The Lord of the Universe, The First, and The Last.
• Muslims consider Allah the creator of all human beings and the god for Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists, and others.